[Durham INC] South Durham Farmers' Market Grand Opening - September 8th!

Ben Filippo manager at southdurhamfarmersmarket.org
Mon Aug 20 09:55:53 EDT 2012

South Durham Farmers' Market Grand Opening

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

*Feel free to disseminate to all pertinent parties.

Durham, NC – *The South Durham Farmers' Market* invites you and yours to
“cultivate community” with us, at our *Grand Opening* on Saturday,
September 8th, from 8AM-12PM, in the Greenwood Commons Shopping Plaza (5410
NC Hwy 55, at Sedwick Rd, Durham, NC 27713)

The Grand Opening will be a wonderful event for all ages. Have your picture
taken on a tractor belonging to one of our own farmers, see the Parkwood
Volunteer Fire Department (and their dalmatian!) with their fire truck,
play games, face painting for kids, win produce prizes (via the NC 10
Percent Campaign! <http://www.nc10percent.com/>), listen to local music
from Robinson Lee Earle <http://robinsonleeearle.com/>, watch a great demo
from our friends at Rose's Meat Market & Sweet
Shop<http://rosesmeatandsweets.com/> and
more!

While you’re there, get to know your local market, and expect to see local,
pasture-raised beef, pork, goat, chicken and eggs. Sample artisanal breads,
cheeses and baked goods. Fall is approaching, and soon we will have
delicious Muscadine grapes, fall squash varieties, and other beautiful
fresh produce. Try some fresh pasta, get some locally made soap, salt-fired
pottery, or beeswax candles!

The South Durham Farmers' Market is THE local foods destination for South
Durham, with over two dozen vendors, all producing within 50 miles of
Greenwood Commons. Most produce within 30! We are open year-round, rain or
shine, Saturdays 8AM-12PM. Looking for Durham County farmers? You’ll find
them here more than any other market, with 10 of our farmers based in
Durham. We’ve also used innovative approaches to create market
opportunities for new farmers, who are key to the future of farming.

We strive to cultivate a food community in South Durham, and have live
local musicians each week. Soon we’ll have *Farmer Foodshare* on hand each
Saturday, to take donations of fresh produce or cash for Durham Crisis
Response Center <http://www.durhamcrisisresponse.org/>, to distribute to
community members in need. The Master Gardeners will often be on-hand at
the end of each month to discuss home gardening and provide soil samples!

We hope to see you there!

Sign up for our newsletter on our website *www.southdurhamfarmersmarket.org*

Like us on Facebook *https://www.facebook.com/TheSouthDurhamFarmersMarket* and
follow us on Twitter! *https://twitter.com/SDFarmersMarket*