[Durham INC] New from the Rev-elution

Golden Belt Historic District goldenbelt.historicdistrict at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 10:02:50 EDT 2012

I have to say how excited I am by all the BUS conversation in the last few
weeks.

Please Understand my biases in working on a Bus Buddy program for Clean
Energy Durham right now, but know that I am just saying my love for this
city just keeps growing because it takes all kinds as.

As a community member familiar with the public transportation situation in
this region and the rider and planned transit route changes that have been
pointed out in this recent series of article by Carl Kenney, it concerns me
that a valid point is being overlooked in that ridership is
disproportionate to the social dynamic of Durham.
Especially considering how many people in this city are concerned with the
environment and clean greener means of transportation I would
think ridership would be considerably higher.

However I am certain others could speak to the current system and I would
like to see the conversation go further in the direction of some coalition
work that improves the social dynamics of transit systems and demonstrates
comfort for all residents in Durham as viable alternative mode of
transportation that would decrease our carbon footprint as a community
working together.

Enclosed are 2 photos that always come to my mind and I am glad to have an
opportunity to share them with my INC community. I would like to thank
Carl, Darius and Christine for sharing their points, I can relate to all of
the above the lack of  attention successful entrepreneurs of color receive,
the concerns about rider safety and the system that focuses on the low
income demographic for public transportation. I would like to discuss
transit more.

*John, would it be possible to discuss this in the next meeting?
*Just 3 minutes or so to see if anyone is interested in offering support.
 --
DeDreana Freeman of the Golden Belt Historic District
Durham N.C. 27701