[Durham INC] re sewage spills

Susan Sewell mssewell2009 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 14:02:56 EDT 2012

John,
My read of that article (and thanks for sharing it) is that only 1 of 8
spills was caused by broken pipes. The rest were blockage issues. Rags,
grease, gravel, debris were mentioned.  Seems to me this might be an area
for education on what neighborhoods can do to help in this area. Rather
than focusing on the fewer breaks. I know restaurants are often an issue
and there is some education work there being done by the dept.. Also the
"Don't dump your grease" notes in residential bills recently. Since renters
don't see that, the excellent alternative methods of disposing of grease
are worth mentioning in our listserves, I'm sure. (Maybe we can get an
electronic copy of such notices to send out?)

Where are the rags and debris coming from and can we help there?
Susan Sewell