[Durham INC] [durhamenviro] Re: Letter: Water Protection Needs Higher Durham Priority (Herald-Sun, Nov 2000)

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 3 00:10:38 EDT 2012

Wow. I didn't even think about the effects of excessive/inorganic fertilizer use on urban gardens (b/c I'm so excited about the idea of small, local urban gardens), but Lord knows people spend heaps of money to overfertilize their lawns. There is an initiative (via the Soil and Water Conservation District) to educate landscapers and homeowners on how little fertilizer is actually required, thereby saving these people money and saving our watersheds the resulting pollution.

Public education is great but it takes time. We need teeth as well as public education.

Melissa