[Durham INC] [durhamenviro] Re: Letter: Water Protection Needs Higher Durham Priority (Herald-Sun, Nov 2000)

A Wandering Feast awanderingfeast at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 3 14:07:25 EDT 2012

Melissa,
In the U.S. we don't have a scarcity of inputs, we have an abundance, and a propensity to use them. To me it is even more important for Durham and other cities in the States to have a "urban sustainable production policy".
In Cuba, inputs into the urban environment was the number one consideration when implementing the urban AG program. They needed the food but not at the ecological expense of the health and environment of the people & cities. You can only farm by sustainable methods in the urban, sub and peri urban in Cuba its the law.
(there are now 33,000 urban farms hiring 480,000 people in a country the size of Pennsylvania - 90% of vegetables consumed in Havana were sustainably produced in Havana)
Those are numbers we would love to see matched in Durham (and the States). It is what NEEM takes folks to see in October and December 2012 and upcoming 2013 CU delegations.
Jeff