[Durham INC] Orange-transit-deal-eyes-new-revenue-for-existing-service Herald Sun

Ed Harrison ed.harrison at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 11 16:16:29 EDT 2012

As someone somewhat involved with the negotiations, here is the exact language from the "Implementing Agreement" between Orange County, Triangle Transit, and the Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro Metropolitan Planning Organization. Chapel Hill, and the transit system funded by Chapel Hill, Carrboro, and UNC-CH, is not a named signer of the agreement.

"Chapel Hill Transit may use a portion of the bus services funds provided in the Plan up to a maximum amount that equals the CHT Share percentage of the prior year total receipts from the Orange County local vehicle registration fee of $7.00 permitted by Article 52 of NCGS 105."

That is to say, the amount available to CH Transit can't be more than the vehicle fee would generate.

Durham County, TTa, and the MPO did not make an implementing agreement in relation to the sales tax. It isn't required by state law. Locally, Commissioner Reckhow and Mark Ahrendsen (of the MPO) are well-qualified to explain that situation, as is Councilman Woodard.

The transit plan for both Counties is way more than light rail, with all of the early money going to bus service. The light rail system is designed to deliver commuters to the two major employment centers in the western Triangle, specifically UNC main campus and Duke West (with stops near East as well). Both are two of the largest NC centers for health care, obviously a fast-growing industry. UNC currently has one parking space on campus for three to four of its employees, which accounts for the buses arriving on campus on weekday mornings at 5-10 minute intervals, many with up to 100 passengers each. Duke has had the fastest transit pass growth in recent months ever seen in the state. In at least one corridor to UNC, the buses are already maxed out. With Duke now reluctant to go into debt for more parking decks, we can expect similar trends there.

Ed Harrison
Chapel Hill Mayor Pro Tem
Triangle Transit Vice-Chair

The future light rail stations closest to where Pat and I live are Gateway and Patterson Place, both in Durham County.