[Durham INC] Pls consider donating 1hr/wk to help a student learn to read -- see herein

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 7 08:43:08 EST 2012

Here's another way to help Durham school kids.
Please skim the email below and consider volunteering 1 hour/week to help a child learn to read so that he can learn to love learning ;-)
Melissa (Rooney)
__________________________
Hi Bootstraps Friends -

Did you ever hear the quote, "Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Martin
Luther King, Jr., Mahatma Gandhi and YOU.all given 24 hours in a day."

When I heard it the first time, it made me want to crawl back into bed.

We don't have to do big things like those individuals. We can do small
things that make a big impact..

Helping one child learn how to read has a lasting impact. If you teach one
child how to read, he or she can read to their child, and then they can read
to their child, and so on and so on.

Who knew that spending an hour every week with a child might change the
course of his or her future. And maybe yours too!

If you want to make your impact stronger, Glenn Elementary School in Durham
has identified a group of children - Kindergartners and first graders - who
could benefit from having an ongoing relationship with an adult to help them
develop their literacy skills.

What does that mean for you? It means spending an hour a week with the same
student doing a prearranged tutorial session. What does it mean for the
child? An adult outside their family who cares enough about them and their
academic success to show up at their school each week. It's a great way to
spend an hour.

Durham Public Schools knows that you care about kids knowing how to read. If
you can't share an hour a week, but belong to any kind of group - from a
PTA, service league, volunteers, students, golf or tennis group, Moms,
retirees, professionals, Church, Mosque, Synagogue or Association - could
you please forward this letter? Forty volunteers are needed.

The contact person is Jocelyn Bryant Joycelyn.Bryant at dpsnc.net. Let's fill
her inbox!

Happy holidays!

Sincerely,

Mary Carey

www.bootstrapspac.org

919-522-9610

P.S. At the end of the movie, "It's a Wonderful Life," Clarence says to
George: "Strange, isn't it? Each man's life touches so many other lives.
When he isn't around he leaves an awful hole, doesn't he?" Please consider
being around for some well-deserving kids! Thank you.