[Durham INC] DRAFT January Minutes

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 30 06:39:26 EST 2013

January
Delegate Meeting of the InterNeighborhood Council of Durham

NIS Conference Room, Golden Belt

January 22, 2013

Attending the meeting were:

Neighborhoods

Bradbury – Omar Beasley

Colony Park – Don Lebkes

Cross Counties – Pat Carstensen

Downing Creek – Dick Ford

Duke Park – Bill Anderson, Ian
Kipp

Falconbridge Community
Association – Rosemarie Kitchin

Long Meadow – Pakis Bessias

Magnolia Place – Darius M. Little

Morehead Hill – Carole King

Northgate Park – Debra Hawkins,
Mike Shiflett

Old North Durham – Peter Katz,
John Martin

Tarleton West – Kalisha Reed

Trinity Park – Philip Azar

Woodcroft – Scott Carter

Woodlake – Robbie Willmarth

Visitors

Lynwood D. Best – City of
Durham, NIS

John Killeen – City of Durham,
NIS

John Goebel – DOST

Will Wilson – DOST

John Martin called the meeting to order, and delegates and
visitors introduced themselves.  Rosemarie Kitchin moved and Scott Carter seconded that we approve the November minutes; this was passed.

Bill Anderson read the
proposed resolution on urban trails
(see Appendix A for an updated version).
The resolution is broader than the Norfolk Southern right of way that
would become the Duke Beltway, but most of the discussion was about this
opportunity.  There is a
possibility that businesses interested in using part of the right of way to
expand their parking might help.
The purpose of doing an INC resolution is to keep attention on the
issue; we would send the resolution to various leverage points such as the
city, county, chamber of commerce, etc.
We also should think about an Op Ed on this.

We had a conversation about concerns
INC would share with the Durham Open
Space and Trails Commission (DOST), such as the lack of ongoing funding for
trail maintenance, the idea of volunteers adopting trail sections or the Duke
Diet site.  Will Wilson will send a
notice / invitation about the next couple DOST meetings to the INC list-serve.  Scott
Carter, Bill Anderson, Debra Hawkins and Philip
Azar will attend a DOST meeting to talk with them.

Peter Katz gave a treasurer’s report (see Appendix
B).  INC dues are coming in, and
John Martin passed out notices on dues for those who haven’t paid.

Don Lebkes and Dick Ford passed
out copies of the Membership Committee’s
letter and brochure on the advantages of joining INC.  Delegates had a lot of comments.  Once the brochure and letter are done, we would put in the
Herald Sun, take to PAC meetings, and so on; if you have ideas, talk to Dick
and Don.  Thanks to Don and Dick.

On the Durham Can You
Spare a Change campaign, Rebecca Broad set up a lovely website: http://www.canyouspareachange.org.  Durham City has revised its soliciting
ordinance to restrict it to only being able to ask a passenger and needing to
do it from the sidewalk (http://www.durhamnc.gov/agendas_new/2012/cm_121712_action.cfm).  Soliciting is not about homelessness,
and several stories were told about this.
We need to figure out ways to get the brochure out to the people who
feel a need to give money to panhandlers.

As a reminder, we will be selecting issues to work on at the February meeting; please ask your
neighborhoods.

On a succession plan
for INC officers, there will be an Executive Committee in February.  There will be a notice on the
list-serve if anyone wants to find out more about being an officer.

Announcements, reports, and miscellaneous news

·
Peter Katz reported from Old North Durham on safety issues,
and particularly about a duplex in the neighborhood; at least 50 bullets were
shot into this duplex while it was occupied.  Old North Durham residents have tried to meet with the
owner, who lives in Chapel Hill and has some 45 properties in Durham.  They are trying to figure out next
steps.  The idea of individual
residents suing based on the inability to enjoy the benefits on their property
was mentioned.  We may want to invite
Patrick Baker to come talk about dealing with nuisances.

·
Neighborhood Pride meeting will be at NIS conference
room on Thursday at 5:30.  There
will be pizza and drinks.

·
Debra Hawkins from Northgate Park said their food
truck rodeos will start on the 4th Thursday, 5 to 8 PM.

·
Debra Hawkins said that as part of Mardi Gras Durham,
there will be a family-friendly event to benefit Porch Durham at the Scrap
Exchange on February 1st.
Porch Durham gets food on weekends to kids who get free and reduced
price meals at school.

Appendix
A: Resolution on Urban Trails

Whereas, our
current trail system is a treasured asset to the citizens of Durham, which
provides a source of healthy enjoyment and recreation, as well as an
alternative to fossil fuels means of transportation, and

Whereas, abandoned
railroad lines currently are acting as avenues for criminals to reach our
houses, and

Whereas, an
actively used walking trail is a far better thing to have running between our
neighborhoods than an abandoned railroad line,

Therefore, the
InterNeighborhood Council of Durham urges the wise organizations and elected
officials who are working toward this outstanding effort to add more walking
trails in the City of Durham. This includes efforts to purchase the Duke
Beltline or other abandoned track, and urges the railroad officials to come
walk the potential trails.

Appendix B: Treasurer’s Report

Checking Account Balance:  $3120.56

Neighborhood Dues Paid Prior to 1/22 INC Meeting:

Colony Park

Downing Creek

Duke Park

Falconbridge Community Association