[Durham INC] Door vs. Curbside Postal Mail Delivery

John Martin bulldurhamnc at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 27 09:14:50 EST 2013

Folks,

With regard to the discussion we had last night, I wanted to forward to everyone the relevant postal operations regulations. The postal operations manual is available in PDF form at the National Association of Letter Carriers website :

http://www.nalc.org/depart/cau/pdf/manuals/POM/POM_9--12_08.pdf

The relevant section is Section 631.6, titled "Conversion of Mode of Delivery,"  and it partially reads: "Customer signatures must be obtained prior to any conversion. In single family housing areas (including manufactured housing and mobile homes) where the residences and lots are owned, each owner must agree to the conversion in writing. Owners who do not agree must be allowed to retain their current mode of delivery. "When a residence is sold, the mode of delivery cannot be arbitrarily changed prior to the new resident moving in. The existing mode of delivery must be retained."

No postal customer can be forced to change from porch delivery to curbside without their consent.  Period.  The flagrant violation of this regulation by local postal employees must stop, and I intend to pursue this matter until it does.

John Martin, President
InterNeighborhood Council of Durham