[Durham INC] New from the Rev-elution: The Daily Tar Heal blames Durham for Chapel Hill crime

Danielle Danielle at whitrel.com
Tue Mar 12 15:01:40 EDT 2013

On 2013-03-11 17:00, Darius M. Little wrote:

> What stuns me about Chapel Hill folk' is that they refer to Durham as
> 'hood yet, ironically, can go eat dinner at Mama Dips restaurant,
> while ignoring the fact that the 'dirty Chapel Hill hood' is right
> around the next corner. As a student I was solicited for prostitution
> on several occasions in Chapel Hill, while on main city streets such
> as Franklin St.

I remember well a discussion at work about why I wouldn't stay in the
office late to do maintenance work (IT - server software upgrades
after-hours) because, as a woman, I was uncomfortable with being alone,
in an otherwise empty office building a very short walk from Mama Dips,
until late evening then walking to my car by myself.

In early 2003, my mother accepted a job with the Wake County Public
School System and they moved to the region from South Carolina. They got
the same lines and bought a place in a development that was soon annexed
by Raleigh.

We moved in 2008 and soon settled in Durham. When we looked to buy a
house two years later, we wanted to stay in the city because we love it.
It is home to this Pennsylvania transplant.

Danielle