[Durham INC] Winkie Wilkins' Bill to Stop Enforcement of Falls Lake Rules

John Martin bulldurhamnc at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 11 16:44:50 EDT 2013

I think you're over-reacting.  This is not a bill to "stop" enforcement of Fall Lakes rules, but rather as its title says clearly:

AN ACT TO SUSPEND ENFORCEMENT OF THE FALLS LAKE RULES FOR TWO
YEARS AND STUDY THE RULES' EFFICACY AND IMPACT ON LOCAL
GOVERNMENTS, BUSINESS, AND INDUSTRY.

Mayor Bell and the City government have asked the state to take another look at these rules, because the projected costs to the City are absolutely astronomical.

The chief sponsor of the bill is Winkie Wilkins, a moderate Democrat from Person County.  He was endorsed in 2012 by the NC League of Conservation Voters.

We absolutely must examine these rules, and make sure they accomplish what they are supposed to accomplish at a price we can afford.

The Bill is very short:  Here's the rest of the text:

The General Assembly of North Carolina enacts:
SECTION 1. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, neither the Department
of Environment and Natural Resources nor any local government in the Upper Neuse
Watershed (as that term is defined in Section 1.(a) of S.L. 2009-486) shall enforce any rules
intended to allow the Falls of the Neuse reservoir to attain its classified uses, including, but not
limited to, the rules codified at 15A NCAC 2B .0276 through .0282 and 15A NCAC 2B
.0315(q).
SECTION 2. The Department shall study and report to the Environmental Review
Commission no later than January 15, 2015, regarding its findings and recommendations
regarding the following:
2015.
(1)   Alternative methods of attaining classified uses in the Falls of the Neuse
reservoir that would have less economic impact on local governments,
development, business, and industry in the Upper Neuse Watershed.
(2)   Trends in water quality in the Falls of the Neuse reservoir, based on water
quality sampling between the effective date of this act and November 15,
2014, performed by the Division of Water Quality of the Department of
Environment and Natural Resources at the same sampling locations and
using the same techniques as water quality sampling performed during 2011
and 2012.
SECTION 3. This act is effective when it becomes law and expires on June 30, 2015.

while!

2:15 PM
durhamenviro at yahoogroups.com