[Durham INC] Winkie Wilkins' Bill to Stop Enforcement of Falls Lake Rules

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 11 21:59:51 EDT 2013

The need for protections in Falls and Jordan Lakes are a long time coming. And it took a lot of effort and time (which = money) to finally get these much compromised rules through the legislature.

 IM(ns)HO, every year that enforcement is postponed is another year that development and other projects can get in under the wire without the increased protections for our waterways that are so needed. And the longer that existing runoff continues to pollute as it has been doing for decades. The longer we wait, the more mess we will have to clean up, and the more it will cost taxpayers.

But even I might be for this delay if it only regarded big BMP projects (like the proposed wetland downtown), if we put a moratorium on any projects that arent adhering to the rules as written, and if we included provisions requiring follow-up and REAL enforcement (with maximum fines) of stormwater violations (run-off/sedimentation/erosion/nitrogen, phosphorus, etc.) - and this means paying employees who go out in the field regularly and repeatedly, rather than relying on citizens emailing photos of violations (that often must be obtained by trespassing on private property).

Furthermore, a lot of research requested by legislators (that I've seen anyway) is also expensive and, if it doesnt give the answer that is hoped for, is ignored anyway.

Just bc we dont trust our own Stormwater Services department to implement and rigorously oversee and maintain big projects that will provide more opportunity to improve our waterways, doesnt mean that the projects, in and of themselves, are not worthwhile.

I am tired of wasting time and money.

Would love some knowledgeable input on this...my knowledge of state gov't is limited at best--i give up easily on red-tape, bureaucracy and legal-speak/write.

Melissa (Rooney)

Sent from my iPad