[Durham INC] Study about Rail Road Crossings in Durham

Janet Martell ninth.st at frontier.com
Sat Apr 27 07:30:12 EDT 2013

I'm very concerned about the walkability of our downtown streetscape. Ramping the roads over the tracks removes the blocks on both sides of the tracks from the human landscape and turns them into a vehicle-scale construction. If you've ever walked from 5 Points to the West End on Chapel Hill Street -- there are sidewalks, but the experience of crossing the freeway bridge area is bleak and industrial.

The conversation I've had about this with friends always ends with people saying that having the new commuter and light rail is so important we'll have to just put up with whatever it takes. I hope there are more options here and we can win/win instead of win/lose.

Jan Martell