[Durham INC] FW: [NewColonistNews] Public plazas, faux & real

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Fri May 31 16:45:04 EDT 2013

I don't know that this article would apply to downtown Durham, but I like the idea that your idea for public spaces should be like the kitchen at a party:
“It’s [the reason people gravitate to Trafalgar Square in London or the Piazza del Campo in Siena, Italy] why we congregate near the kitchen at a dinner party instead of in the living room,” said Andy Wiley-Schwartz, who directs the Department of Transportation’s plaza program. “That’s where you see people coming and going to the fridge to grab a beer and watch stuff happen.”