[Durham INC] NC House eliminates protest petitions

Ed Harrison ed.harrison at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 11 23:15:30 EDT 2013

> http://www.heraldsun.com/news/x533455689/Bill-eliminates-protest-petition-rights-in-zoning-cases

As someone who has voted more than many in the area to uphold protest petitions, they can cut
more than one way, but are great to have in order to force a developer to the table to improve a project.

Our southwestern Durham Co. neighborhood was able to reduce the scale of a project
tremendously (>75%) via protest petition -- a petition that could be filed because Ellen Reckhow
had advocated for a local bill to allow unincorporated areas to file protests against City rezoning apps.

My personal experience, and advice, is that you should never depend on a protest petition
to stop a project. And now none of us will be able to do that, if the Senate concurs with the House.

Ed H