[Durham INC] Editorial: Duke admin’s proposal to close campus roads does more harm than good (Chronicle)

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 28 17:34:54 EDT 2013

Chronicle Editorial: Securing the area, no hysteria
Duke Chronicle, 28 August 2013

News of the robbery
 between Bostock and Perkins libraries this past

Sunday has quickly spread across campus, alarming administrators and

students alike. Their concern is understandable, as the location and time

of the crime call into question the security of the entire campus. Although
administrators and the Duke University Police Department should act to
prevent future robberies, we caution against reactionary measures that
either unnecessarily restrict campus activity or fail to directly
address
 the problem at hand.

The nature of Sunday’s armed robbery sets it apart from
 previous

robberies and break-ins at Duke. It occurred in an area near the heart

of West Campus frequented by students, and the perpetrator managed

to bring a concealed weapon onto campus.

Given that a general sense of safety is essential to the activities of Duke’s

students and faculty, the University has a responsibility to effectively

address the issue of campus security. Any measures the University takes,

however, should not sacrifice campus activity or relations with the

surrounding community.

The administration’s proposal to close roads around Duke’s campus,

such as Towerview Road, does more harm than good. The proposal

does not address the likely causes of Sunday’s robbery. A campus

lockdown of this sort would also severely restrict student movement on

and off campus. In fact, decreased access to campus could exacerbate

security problems by forcing students who are off campus late at night

to park farther away from their dorms.

Furthermore, closing down roads around campus fuels unwarranted

hysteria about the incident and reinforces the myth that Durham is

crime-ridden and dangerous, a falsehood that has continually undermined

town-and-gown relations. We still do not know who the armed robber was,

and we should not make assumptions about his background or origins.

Moreover, walling off Duke from Durham risks further alienating the

surrounding community and deters students from enjoying Durham’s

vibrant cultural and historical resources, many of which are underused

by students.

Duke’s administration should instead focus on maintaining, and possibly
increasing, high levels of security officers on all three campuses.
Deterring criminals to come onto campus in the first place is critical
for preventing, rather than just reacting to, crime. The administration
should also work to improve officers’ ability to prevent crime. This can

be done by increasing the ratio of DUPD officers to non-police security

guards. DUPD officers are authorized to carry weapons and make arrests,

unlike security officers who typically cannot do either.

Finally, the
 administration should widely publicize its current security
efforts, such as educating students on where security officers are
stationed and the security services provided to students.

Even as we question the wisdom of the latest proposal, we applaud the
administration for how seriously it has reacted to last Sunday’s
incident and similar crimes.

First and foremost, we want students to be safe, but, in ensuring their
safety, we should not needlessly sacrifice relations with Durham or
student’s ability to enjoy the community around them.