[Durham INC] Tower/wireless discussion October 8th -- Regional Council of Governments

Ed Harrison ed.harrison at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 20 11:14:02 EDT 2013

This is an open meeting at the Regional Council of Governments (COG), an advisory agency. A lot of people got this invitation (and a number of Durham planners apparently emailed within minutes that they would attend) so it would greatly help COG staff if you let them know you were coming -- reply to Bergen Watterson, address below. Comm. Ellen Reckhow is chair, and I'm not sure who usually attends from City Council (often Eugene Brown); I attend for Chapel Hill, where we actually have more communications antennae than most realize, and don't conceal them.

I'm hopeful, as someone who has practiced forest ecology in and around Durham County for some 37 years, that this sort of language (in the draft rules for Durham City and County) is analyzed out loud:

Tower design shall mimic a species located within the cluster of trees, with the support tower or pole to be designed as a tree trunk and antennae arrays designed as tree branches, leaves, and any other applicable appendages.
iii. The height shall measure no more than 20 feet above the tallest tree within the cluster of trees…

Duke Forest was one of the first places in North America, some 80 years ago, where in-depth and ground-breaking studies of "plant succession" were done. Simply put, it is just about guaranteed that any forest around here, even "old growth" (extremely rare) forest, will change in composition, appearance and size over time, sometimes rapidly if affected by a major weather event (Hurricane Fran, 2002 ice storm). This language seems to assume that Durham County forests are static and unchanging. Definitely not my experience around here.

Ed Harrison, MEM

Begin forwarded message: