[Durham INC] INC Nuisance Abatement Committee

Peter Katz peterkatz01 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 18:18:27 EDT 2013

   I've set up a Doodle poll with three suggested dates/times over the next
few weeks for the initial INC Nuisance Abatement Committee.

http://doodle.com/sxqfqvfwz7ahr8qr

   The idea behind the formation of this committee came out of an INC
delegate meeting earlier this year in which delegates signaled an interest
in an array of nuisance issues that affect neighborhoods in Durham.
Suggested topics included:  run-down properties, noise violations,
unlicensed group homes, yard/lawn parking, stores selling alcohol, and
animal related nuisances.  It has also been suggested that this committee
might serve as a forum for INC to address the blighted Duke Beltline, an
abandoned railway that circumscribes downtown Durham.  I'm open to looking
into any others that might be suggested (as long as they are not being
simultaneously studied by another INC committee eg; speeding which is
currently being addressed by the Traffic Committee).

   My particular interest in this topic, and reason for agreeing to chair
the committee, is that I and my immediate neighbors have been in the process
of addressing a specific nuisance rental property and I hope to come away
from the experience with some useful insights which can be shared with other
neighbors in Durham who might also be dealing with similar issues.

   In the initial meeting I'd like to discuss and formulate the structure
and goals of this committee.  My priors are that this committee be active
for a finite period of time and that we 1.) assemble some metrics and case
studies to get a sense of the impact and prevalence 2.) compile resources
and information to assist neighbors in Durham in addressing nuisance issues
3.) identify recommendations on ways that existing protocols of addressing
nuisance in Durham can be improved.  Anyone is welcome to participate in
this committee, you do not need to be an active INC member or neighborhood
delegate.

  Please let me know if you should have any questions and thank you for your
interest in this committee!

Best,

Peter Katz

INC nuisance abatement committee chair