[Durham INC] Carbon Rule Citizen Hearing, Tuesday Oct 29, 6pm, Durham Library

Scott Carter carterjs at us.ibm.com
Wed Oct 23 10:56:08 EDT 2013

Hello INC folks,

Please find below an announcement of a citizen hearing hosted by
Environment NC regarding new standards for carbon pollution.   Please
forward to your neighborhood listservs.   Thanks.

Scott Carter
INC President

(See attached file: Flyer.docx)

InterNeighborhood Council of Durham,

My name is Graham Givens and I am the Clean Energy Associate with
Environment North Carolina. We are a statewide, citizen based,
environmental advocacy organization working to protect North Carolina's
clean air, clean water, and open spaces.

As you may know, North Carolina has a lot at stake when it comes to global
warming with recent flooding and rising sea levels. Already, communities in
North Carolina have experienced intense flooding this past summer and
scientist warn that without major reductions in carbon pollution, global
warming-fueld extreme weather will become even more frequent and severe.

Power plants are America's largest single source of carbon pollution and in
North Carolina, power plants account for more than half of the states total
global warming pollution.

Luckily, the Environmental Protection Agency just released a new set of
standards that sets limits on the amount of carbon pollution from new power
plants. This proposed rule is apart of President Obama's larger climate
action plan that calls for reductions in global warming pollution and an
increase use of clean energy.

On Tuesday, October 29th, Environment North Carolina, along with other
groups in the area, will be hosting a citizen hearing about the EPA's new
carbon rule. Organization and members of the community are invited to give
public comments about the rule, which will be recorded and sent to the EPA
as official public comments. The hearing will be at the Main Durham Library
at 6pm.

Sincerely,

Graham Givens
Clean Energy Associate