[Durham INC] Parking on Ninth Street

Kelly J kjj1bg at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 25 08:36:57 EDT 2013

So I read in today's paper that the Chartwell, the company doing all the development on west side of ninth street purchased the parking lot and is hiking the city's lease from $3000/year to $85,500/year? Again--this just exemplifies how these outside groups drain money from our local economies. So they're bringing in national chains that compete with our local businesses, providing free subsidized parking to the patrons of these national chains, exponentially hiking the city's parking costs for existing businesses, and asking us to introduce new expenses for people who want to patronize our local businesses?

I hope we come up with some more innovative ideas than simply giving into this? How about taxing the spaces in the Chartwell lots at a rate that will offset the $82,000/year hike they're asking the city to absorb? I just think its wrong to introduce something like this that penalizes the businesses and customers who have built 9th Street and supported it during some pretty lean years.

The problem of employee parking for these businesses is valid though, as is the perennial problem of landlord rent hikes that drive away businesses there. I do support some creative thinking on the 9th Street employee parking issue--perhaps something could be worked out with Asbury Methodist Church or something?

Kelly

Kelly Jarrett. Sent from iPhone. Please take misspellings and autocorrect errors lightly.