[Durham INC] parking studies?

Ed Harrison ed.harrison at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 27 13:56:05 EDT 2013

Chapel Hill implemented paid downtown parking so long ago, I wouldn't know where to find any documents. Unlike downtown Durham or, especially, Ninth Street, East Franklin Street directly abuts the UNC campus for half a mile, a campus with essentially no available parking. Carrboro is wrestling with charging for parking at the same time as Durham, at a much smaller scale. Carrboro has no UNC property in town limits; Chapel Hill has some 20 million square feet, most of it within 3/4 of a mile of Franklin Street.

What I find disturbing about the Ninth Street parking issue is the prospect of sizable new surface parking lots within easy walking distance of the traditional local retail (that I still visit after almost 24 years in Chapel Hill) that could be effectively unavailable to users of that retail. I also hope that there are some rim parking lots for downtown that remain free, simply requiring a long hike. I keep pairs of "parking shoes" for such hikes into downtown Chapel Hill.

Ed Harrison