[Durham INC] parking studies?

Matt Dudek matt.dudek at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 10:53:15 EDT 2013

Don,

Here is a publication by the author John mentions. His crowning work is a
700 page book, but this summarizes it well.

It's difficult to directly apply this to 9th street, but his study of LA
found that free parking caused people to park there cars in prime spaces
all day, and that half of traffic in areas were people looking for parking
spaces. He argues that by finding the optimum market price for parking that
it causes parking spaces to turn over more frequently, which means people
looking to shop can find spaces more frequently, and so more people are
likely to go and shop at places if they are confident they can get parking.

This is not a direct comparison to 9th Street, since I don't think people
are afraid they won't find a space. This might change though once al that
new housing goes online, but if that's the case hopefully 9th street
businesses will be inundated with customers!

Matt Dudek, MPA/MCRP