[Durham INC] Photo Duke mens' basketball players with guns - bad example set by Coach K

Laura Drey lauradrey at ncrrbiz.com
Mon Nov 11 22:48:58 EST 2013

To Duke administrators and staff (including the sports department in general and basketball in particular), members of the media (including nearby college and university newspapers), Durham City Council members, Durham County Commissioners, neighborhood and community activists and personal friends,

Last month, the Duke Men’s Basketball Team posed with realistic looking assault rifles in a group picture.  The pictures quickly made their way to social media sites, where they were picked up by other news sources.  I firmly believe that Coach Kryzewski’s (Coach K’s) encouragement of such posturing – they were touring his alma mater-  sets an extremely poor example for his students, Duke University students, and the general public. The images, which glorify violence, are inappropriate, as many young people choose to emulate the Duke Blue Devils basketball team.  Whether or not the guns were real is beside the point.  They are realistic looking, and as such, promote violence.

Even more disturbing is the fact that neither the University Administration, nor the University Sport’s Administration took an official position on the photograph saying. The University Administration is complicit.  They are, in effect, glorifying the use of guns.

Coach K has created a public relations headache for Duke. I would hope that Coach K's actions will have potential funders rethink backing the university with their financial support. Upcoming students may withdraw, or not submit, applications for admission to the university.

I fell it is important to address this issue on Veteran’s Day.

Sincerely,
Laura Drey

PS If you would like to view the photographs I am referring to you may go to http://deadspin.com/what-is-this-photo-of-the-duke-basketball-team-handling-1444496025