[Durham INC] Childhood Obesity in Durham

Will Wilson willwilsn at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 15:15:33 EST 2013

An interesting paper by Marie Lynn Miranda et al. 2012. The maps in the
paper show where Durham needs to focus attention. Essentially, high
crime and property nuisances lead to childhood obesity because kids are
afraid to venture outside.

 From their conclusions:

"Our research indicates a significant association
between domains of the built environment focused on
social context and neighborhood characteristics and
childhood overweight and obesity. This work holds
promise for elucidating key drivers of the burgeoning
childhood overweight epidemic, and in so doing, highlights potential for
policy interventions. In future
research, we hope to examine the joint and independent
relationship between all aspects of the built environment
(social context, walkability, green spaces, food environment) and
childhood weight status."

--
http://www.biology.duke.edu/wilson/
http://www.constructedclimates.org/