[Durham INC] Invest in the Pauli Murray Center for History & Social Justice

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 3 17:36:52 EST 2013

Pauli Murray Center

for History and Social Justice
Pauli Murray Project

December 2013

Activist, attorney, author, priest and saint, and hometown hero.  Those words describe one single – and singular – person, the Reverend Doctor Pauli Murray. We are proud to claim her as one of Durham’s most accomplished daughters. Join us in sharing her story, saving her childhood home and continuing her work for freedom and justice.

Please donate now... https://donatenow.networkforgood.org/paulimurraycenter

We mark 2013 as the year we made a giant step: the Pauli Murray Center for History and Social Justice is now an official non-profit organization. This is crucial to our goal of transforming of Pauli Murray’s childhood home at 906 Carroll Street in Durham into a center for dialogue, education, arts and social activism.

Your support as a donor, a program participant, a
        volunteer, and an interested citizen is even more important as
        we build
        momentum. We hope you feel a connection to Pauli’s vision for
        peace and reconciliation
        and to the many people whose lives are reflected in Pauli’s
        experience of
        struggle…and liberation.

In
          a few short weeks, a new drainage system will be installed in
          Maplewood
          Cemetery with funds ($72,000) allocated by the City of Durham.  This will stem the flow of water that for more than 100 years has damaged the foundation of the house.

As
          Pauli writes in Proud Shoes,
“Grandfather’s Homestead on the Hillside was …abasin for drainage from the cemetery hill.  During bad weather we were mired in from constant flooding which settled under the house and rotted the foundations….”

Our renovation work can start when the cemetery work is complete. We need to tackle the sagging roof, decimated foundation, and crumbling chimneys. Stabilizing the house is a critical first step.  You can help! Our goal is to raise a minimum of $55,000 to shore up our aging 1898 historical asset. Can you make a donation today?

Please donate... https://donatenow.networkforgood.org/paulimurraycenter

Without your help, we will lose our battle to save the house of our hometown sister.  Send us a gift at Pauli Murray Center, P.O. Box 541, Durham, NC  27702 or make a gift online today!

With thanks for your dedication to the cause,

Barbara Lau                                    Mayme Webb-Bledsoe
Executive Director                          Board Chair

Pauli Murray Project/Pauli Murray Center for history and social justice Leadership Team
Farad Ali, Philip Azar, Cynthia Brown, Rev. Dwyian & Stephanie Davis, Ray Eurquhart, Sterling Freeman, Mary McClintock-Fulkerson, Brooks Graebner, Alexis Pauline Gumbs, Joe Harvard, Paula Januzzi-Godfrey, Mary Hawkins, Rhonda Jones, Sherry Kinlaw, Robin Kirk, Michelle Lanier, Tracy Lovett, Charmaine McKissick-Melton, Eunice O’Neal Sanders, John Parker, Victoria Joyner Phillips, Courtney Reid-Eaton, Rebecca Reyes, John Schelp, Jeanette Stokes, Carl Webb