[Durham INC] TC1200012

Pat pats1717 at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 14 18:05:42 EST 2013

The memo  below describes two properties along 15-501 that the original version of TC1200012 would have applied to.
\http://durhamnc.gov/ich/cb/ccpd/Documents/JCCPC/Agendas/2013/May/Attachment6.pdf

The maps are a little hard to read, but the properties are outlined.

The contrast between them shows the bad judgement in giving the same density with a development plan anywhere in the county.

The first property, on page 4, is at the future transit stop at Mt. Moriah Road and 15-501, where there is now a Home Depot and Kroger.  It is served by both TTA and DATA, and has quite a bit of employment within walking distance (Duke Medical building, retail, and hotel).  I personally would hope they have somewhat lower density at first because of the traffic mess in that area already, with conversion of some of parking lots to buildings when transit comes in.  It would have to have some of that housing be affordable.  As I understand it, the development is laid out with an outline to be able to be made more dense.

The second property, on page 5, is north of the Pepsi plant on the access road, at Cornwallis and 15-501.  Density there has all the characteristics of misbegotten ideas from density nuts: little near-by employment, difficulty walking if you wanted to get somewhere, and not much hope of frequent transit service.  It is on the the future rail corridor, but way between stations (if it is developed as condos, the people there will be NIMBY's against rail because of the trains on their front yards).  Because of the long frontage on 15-501, they would most likely push all the development to the back of the property, making the biggest impact possible on their neighbors.  So you have a place that will always be car-dependent (I'm not sure how bad traffic is there now).

Regards, pat