[Durham INC] WHHNA votes to refuse changes on Club

Adam Haile adam.haile at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 12:51:09 EDT 2014

Just in: without public notice, the WHHNA board met behind closed doors
Tuesday night and voted to refuse any changes to the Club plan. They buried
the announcement at the end of the message below.

This is a huge blow to Complete Streets, to the Bike Plan, to BPAC, and to
neighborhood associations in general.  Actions like this confirm the worst
stereotype of neighborhood associations: a small group of insiders push a
narrow set of self-serving interests, avoiding public scrutiny and ignoring
dissenting input even when it comes from within their own neighborhood.

I don't believe, no matter what Mark Ahrendsen said at the BPAC meeting,
that this fight is over.  It's time to call on City Council to suspend the
Club project until a proper round of public input can be performed. A
single neighborhood association should not be allowed sole say in how
public money is spent on public roads. Nor should they be permitted to
singlehandedly override Durham's commitments to the Comprehensive Bicycle
Transportation Plan and to Complete Streets.
-- Adam