[Durham INC] Soliciting experiences with HOA's with regard to applications to install solar panels

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 11 20:19:55 EDT 2015

I'm looking for stories/feedback regarding people's experiences with their HOA's and installing street-facing solar panels. The only way we'd be able to harness the sunlight on our house is to install panels on the front of our house and, therefore, facing the street; but HOA has prohibited us from doing so, even though the only thing in our HOA covenants regarding solar anything states that 'Active and passive solar applications will be encouraged and promoted for all houses.’

Seems awful easy (and undemocratic) for HOA boards to ignore the intents (and wording) of their own contracts with their members.

Has anybody else out there had a similar experience with their HOA?

If so, I’d love to hear/read about it.

Melissa (Rooney)