[Durham INC] [owdna] Zoom Mtg Mon 10/12 6pm: Save local runoff election $$$? Have spoiler proofing on ballots? Join & learn re: a nonpartisan effort for NC

Tom Miller tom-miller1 at nc.rr.com
Mon Oct 12 10:22:33 EDT 2020

Whether this is good depends on how the primary or runoff system is conducted.  In a primary system like ours, ranked choice robs a voter’s ability to change their mind between the ballots.  If jones, smith, green, and williams are running and in the primary jones and smith get the most votes, but neither a majority and williams and green get negligible votes, Jones and smith advance to the general election.  If I voted for green in the primary, I still control my vote.  I get to decide whether to support Jones or smith in the general.  I still have my portion of political power.  In ranked choice, I must decide once what my ranking is.  I don’t get to reappraise my position after the primary.  I don’t get to change my mind.  In all elections there is a chance the winner will be someone I don’t like. RCV doesn’t protect against that.  It does stop me from being able to choose between the two high vote getters (people I might not like) which I suppose could be interpreted that by losing in RCV I am somehow spared the indignity of having to choose between two candidates who aren’t my top choices by taking away all my choice in a second ballot.  No thanks.

I do not see RCV as a democracy upgrade.