[Durham INC] Flatten the curve on voting early

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 14 06:52:34 EDT 2020

Especially don't go to the polls from 1:30-2:15 if you can avoid it since they will be changing shifts (and then dealing with any lines that built up).   Our experience in the spring was a small crowd right when the polls opened and then not much traffic until 10 or 10:30.  Different sites had different evening behavior, but the polls are open until 7:30 (except on the last day), and were pretty quiet at the end of the day.

The summary of the COVID-response plan is at https://www.dconc.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=32778; for example, everyone gets a new pen and the sites are laid out with carefully designed spacing to maintain social distancing.

Definitely try new places to vote: the libraries have limited space to spread out for social distancing, plus workers are going to be constantly cleaning surfaces, which will mean that the surface can't be used until it is dry.  Don't put a ballot on a wet surface -- the tabulators REALLY don't like damp ballots.

Officially, being generally concerned about COVID is not a valid reason to use curbside, but having any kind of underlying condition that puts you at risk is a valid reason.  (Note: the rule is that one's right to vote is the most important thing, so no-one is going to hassle you about reasons if you go to curbside). Everything they bring to your car is getting wiped down between uses, but I would still bring my own clip board or other hard surface to write on.

You can't turn in a mail-in ballot at curbside -- you have to go inside (or go to the nice tent downtown, or put the ballot in the mailbox).  Election workers can't give advice on whether you have filled out the envelope OK.

Eno River Unitarian Universalist Fellowship voting is in the Fellowship Hall so parking is in the front lot.  Other sites may have a shift in the exact location of the voting area.  There should be lots of signs.  This document has pictures of the inside and outside of each voting site: http://dcoftp.net/boe-ftp/Early%20Voting/2020_11_03_Proposed_Early_Voting_Plan.pdf

Regards, pat