[Durham INC] MERRICK-MOORE UPDATE

Merrick Moore Community merrickmoorecommunity at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 13:02:47 EST 2021

Dear neighbors, friends, and supporters of Merrick-Moore Community,

Last night’s City Council meeting was an epic win, for the Merrick-Moore
Community and the city of Durham at large. Greater than the fact that we
stopped a dense development, we were able to get the city to acknowledge
its inequities around providing safer roads for pedestrians and bicyclists
in rural lower-income communities. None of this would have been possible
without your support. Diverse voices were heard last night. Voices that
were diverse in race, culture, and economic status. Voices that were able
to come together, collectively, to make change happen. Each person that
emailed a letter, signed up to speak, or participated in this meeting in
any fashion, deserves to be recognized. I am especially grateful to those
who went above and beyond in their support for the Merrick-Moore Community.

Keep in mind that last night was not a one and done. There are many more
developments slated for the NE corridor of Durham and let us not forget
Braggtown as they are family to MMC. We must stand in solidarity with them
on their journey. We must keep up the pressure on the bond issue that was
mentioned in the meeting that would address sidewalks and infrastructure
updates. We must also push for smaller home development built for the
current residents of Durham.

Bonita Green
Merrick-Moore Community Development Corporation
*merrickmoorecommunity at gmail.com <merrickmoorecommunity at gmail.com>*
954.632.2079 (mobile)