[Durham INC] upcoming events

Merrick Moore Community merrickmoorecommunity at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 12:29:26 EDT 2021

*Please help us spread the word- *

Join us for our monthly history series. This year, we're focusing on
historically Black and African American neighborhoods.

This month is the* Spring 2021 Reunion* *on **Friday, June 25, 12 pm-1 pm*.
Speakers from Brookstown, The Bottom, College Heights, Merrick Moore, and
East End will share more about their communities.
https://www.durhamcommunityengagement.org/?utm_campaign=ocs_spring_2021_reunion&utm_medium=email&utm_source=durhamnis

The Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) Committee of New Hope Audubon
Society (NHAS) invites you to participate in our Birdability Blitz.
Birdability is an organization devoted to ensuring that the birding
community and outdoors are welcoming, inclusive, safe, and accessible for
everyone. Even if you don't think of yourself as a "birder," birdability is
helpful to anyone interested in being outdoors in public spaces. See more
at birdability.org.

What is Birdability

The Birdability Blitz involves assessing as many local outdoor spots as
possible for accessibility. Birdability.org has a map that provides
accessibility information for sites but needs volunteers to upload the
accessibility information. They provide an easy-to-use template on the
website. You can see the map at https://gis.audubon.org/birdability/, or go
to Birdability.org and click on the link at the top for Birdability Map. To
get started with adding information to the map, go to
https://www.birdability.org/contribute-to-the-birdability-map.

How to participate

In order to encourage folks to participate in the Blitz, we've created a
spreadsheet of local outdoor sites that can be accessed at
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fxJ_SZZmiOQIcGXTjTHecFuM2p1tMzAW/view?usp=sharing
.

We encourage you to "adopt" as many sites as you can by entering your name,
email address (so we can contact you if we have questions), and the date
you "claimed" a site. Some people may have difficulty getting to a site,
especially if they don't have easy access to a car. For this reason, we're
asking that you include a note in your assessment about whether using
public transportation to get to the site is feasible. It will also help us
if you would go back and enter the date you submitted the assessment(s) so
we can track how we're doing. Please feel free to add sites that you’ve
discovered and would like to share!

Safety in the Outdoors / Resources

In addition to thinking about the accessibility of outdoor spaces for
people with physical or health challenges, we encourage you to think about
other challenges that people may experience in the outdoors. See
https://www.birdability.org/safety-while-birding and
https://www.birdability.org/blog/why-we-have-a-safety-question-in-the-new-birdability-site-review
for more about this. Birdability will be adding questions in the assessment
template for information about safety. In the meantime, feel free to add
comments that are relevant. Some challenges to consider:

   -

   Women may not feel safe going to more remote areas alone, or to areas
   that are in town but not heavily frequented or not well-lit. Feel free to
   make comments about that issue in your notes.

   -

   People who identify as LGBTQIA+ may not feel safe in public places,
   depending on the social environment.

   -

   Black, Indigenous, and People of Color may not feel safe going to areas
   where they are likely to be questioned or challenged about their presence,
   or where there are other concerns related to racism and the history of
   racism and the outdoors in this country. If you'd like to read or watch
   more about these issues, here are some resources:
   -

      In this video, Delphine Sellars and Diquan Edmonds join Historic
      Stagville Site Manager Vera Cecelski in conversation at Horton
Grove. Each
      speaker represents an organization that keeps and cares for land that was
      formerly part of the Cameron plantations: Historic Stagville
State Historic
      Site, Catawba Trail Farm, and Triangle Land Conservancy’s Horton Grove
      Nature Preserve. They share the different ways each of them seeks to
      transform plantation land into spaces for healing, through land
      conservation, community agriculture, and public history. Their talk was
      recorded on the grounds of Horton Grove, the only surviving
slave dwellings
      from the Bennehan and Cameron plantations.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xopIwhlLQ6g
      -

      Birdwatching was seen as a White man’s hobby. These people are
      reclaiming it.
      https://www.thelily.com/birdwatching-was-seen-as-a-white-mans-hobby-these-people-are-reclaiming-it/
      .
      -

      At Francis Beidler Forest, Stories of the Formerly Enslaved Mingle
      with Nature
      <https://click.everyaction.com/k/25270743/273321654/393480349?ms=aud-email-advocacy_(nc)_feb_edi_email&utm_source=ea&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=advocacy_(nc)_feb_edi_email&nvep=ew0KICAiVGVuYW50VXJpIjogIm5ncHZhbjovL3Zhbi9UU00vVFNNQVUvMS81NzE1NSIsDQogICJEaXN0cmlidXRpb25VbmlxdWVJZCI6ICI1ZWE4OTg3Ni03OTczLWViMTEtOTg4OS0wMDE1NWQ0M2M5OTIiLA0KICAiRW1haWxBZGRyZXNzIjogIm1hcmNpYW1hbmRlbDFAZ21haWwuY29tIg0KfQ%3D%3D&hmac=m_2qk9I4SIlcIkss_nm5_JNQCJqXgAdWujUxiMe1E2M=&emci=36fd9cf6-fd72-eb11-9889-00155d43c992&emdi=5ea89876-7973-eb11-9889-00155d43c992&ceid=34167>

      -

      Graduate student Corina Newsome on encouraging the Black community to
      engage in nature
      <https://click.everyaction.com/k/25270744/273321655/320657982?nvep=ew0KICAiVGVuYW50VXJpIjogIm5ncHZhbjovL3Zhbi9UU00vVFNNQVUvMS81NzE1NSIsDQogICJEaXN0cmlidXRpb25VbmlxdWVJZCI6ICI1ZWE4OTg3Ni03OTczLWViMTEtOTg4OS0wMDE1NWQ0M2M5OTIiLA0KICAiRW1haWxBZGRyZXNzIjogIm1hcmNpYW1hbmRlbDFAZ21haWwuY29tIg0KfQ%3D%3D&hmac=m_2qk9I4SIlcIkss_nm5_JNQCJqXgAdWujUxiMe1E2M=&emci=36fd9cf6-fd72-eb11-9889-00155d43c992&emdi=5ea89876-7973-eb11-9889-00155d43c992&ceid=34167>

      -

      Black Birders Week discussion panel 1
      <https://click.everyaction.com/k/23169969/266737411/-569777196?nvep=ew0KICAiVGVuYW50VXJpIjogIm5ncHZhbjovL3Zhbi9UU00vVFNNQVUvMS81NzE1NSIsDQogICJEaXN0cmlidXRpb25VbmlxdWVJZCI6ICJmYWMxYWFhOS0wZDRhLWViMTEtYTYwNy0wMDE1NWQ0M2M5OTIiLA0KICAiRW1haWxBZGRyZXNzIjogIm1hcmNpYW1hbmRlbDFAZ21haWwuY29tIg0KfQ%3D%3D&hmac=SfAvL9bqsLZKHkB3jU5GevZhPzQazg5gPcBvnurILXc=&emci=a5b64a9b-f949-eb11-a607-00155d43c992&emdi=fac1aaa9-0d4a-eb11-a607-00155d43c992&ceid=34167>
      -

      Black Birders Week discussion panel 2
      <https://click.everyaction.com/k/23169970/266737413/-2028143307?nvep=ew0KICAiVGVuYW50VXJpIjogIm5ncHZhbjovL3Zhbi9UU00vVFNNQVUvMS81NzE1NSIsDQogICJEaXN0cmlidXRpb25VbmlxdWVJZCI6ICJmYWMxYWFhOS0wZDRhLWViMTEtYTYwNy0wMDE1NWQ0M2M5OTIiLA0KICAiRW1haWxBZGRyZXNzIjogIm1hcmNpYW1hbmRlbDFAZ21haWwuY29tIg0KfQ%3D%3D&hmac=SfAvL9bqsLZKHkB3jU5GevZhPzQazg5gPcBvnurILXc=&emci=a5b64a9b-f949-eb11-a607-00155d43c992&emdi=fac1aaa9-0d4a-eb11-a607-00155d43c992&ceid=34167>

      -

      Safe In Nature - A Black Birders Week 2021 Event
      https://www.facebook.com/NationalAudubonSociety/videos/3815294578581855/
      -

      Black Faces, White Spaces by Carolyn Finney
      -

      Articles by Dr. Drew Lanham, an ornithologist who writes and speaks
      about these issues: https://www.audubon.org/content/j-drew-lanham.
      -

      Mapping Migraciones: a  project by Audubon and Latino Outdoors
      celebrating Latinidad, migration, and the stories that connect us across
      the globe. https://latinooutdoors.org/mapping-migraciones/.

We hope you'll have fun with this project! Let us know if you have any
questions or comments.
NHAS EDI Committee

Greetings!

Celebrate Pollinator Week with Toxic Free NC by joining us for a virtual
conversation with local beekeeper and author Mark Powers, whose new debut
novel "A Swarm in May" weaves medical mystery, beekeeping, and lessons on
systemic racism into a compelling page-turner. We'll talk about the writing
process, lessons he's learned as a beekeeper, and also dig into recent
research on pesticide impacts on pollinator health.

Monday, June 21, from 7 - 8 pm. Register in advance here:
https://bit.ly/3waVSRJ

--
Bonita Green
Merrick-Moore Community Development Corporation