[Durham INC] Last night's hearing on the Goals and Objectives of the Comprehensive Plan

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 16 08:29:47 EDT 2021

I was late getting to the meeting so I missed most of the presentation -- someone else may have comments on that.  My observations from the comments from the public and elected officials:

  *   Audubon Society has been effective at getting ideas of native plants and biodiversity added.  In general, adding ideas has been easier than changing or deleting what Planning thinks they have heard from the public.
  *   The text (https://engagedurham.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Revised-Community-Goals-and-Objectives.pdf) now includes an introductory section on the commitment to respond to the public.
  *   In the next step, they will be developing a new "place type" map to replace the "land use" map.  On one hand, it sounds like it will allow for more detail and local variation.  On the other hand, if this means more form-based code, I think we are already seeing way too much of how form-based code is not really controlling what kind of **** the developer wants to build.
  *   I was impressed with DeDreana Freeman's comments on the environment.
  *   A lot of the public comments were more about policy to be in the more detailed implementation of the goals.
  *   The governing bodies will be voting on adoption before the end of June.

  *
  *