[Durham INC] Seek citizen/focus group input, Monday (Zoom) meeting abt ballot tech (RCV) for NC, Aug 9 6:30pm

Debra Hawkins dhawkins913311 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 11:20:08 EDT 2021

*** Please Cross-Post ***

For those interested, there’s a Zoom meeting this Monday 6:30 pm asking for citizen/focus group input on having a new balloting approach in NC called RCV that has happened in Maine, Alaska, and in the news for NYC primaries last month. There are several potential advantages for voters and for city/muni budgets; A new nonprofit org celebrating its first anniversary next month will outline the option, share about their pandemic first months as a group, and seek public input for next steps. Attendance is free. Here is announcement info and a link to sign up to attend, listen and/or participate. They want to know your questions, thoughts and ideas, so please consider joining this exciting meetup! Registration link, or Links for more info and ways to give feedback or support the endeavor If you can’t make the meeting, below. Feel free to forward or share as interested.

----------------------

Supporters of Ranked Choice Voting (RCV) will be pleased to know that the use of RCV in the recent New York City-wide primaries got an enthusiastic response from the public. A poll conducted by Rank the Vote NYC and Common Cause found that over 75% of voters were happy with using RCV and want to continue its use. Our Outreach team wrote an opinion piece about the New York City response, which was published in the <https://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/article252651463.html>  Charlotte Observer, <https://www.heraldsun.com/opinion/article252651463.html>  The Durham Herald-Sun, and the <https://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/article252651463.html>  Raleigh News and Observer. RCV is getting the attention of the media and elected officials across the nation, from municipalities to states.

Better Ballot North Carolina needs the help of our members and the support of the public to advocate for RCV in North Carolina. And, we want to know why YOU would support this critical election upgrade. Please join us and have your say at our statewide (Zoom) gathering this coming Monday, August 9, 2021.

>From 6:30 to 7:15 p.m., our Outreach team will conduct an introduction to RCV for those unfamiliar with it.

After 7:15, and following an introduction to BBNC, our team leaders will be asking you these questions to help us better understand what will motivate participation and engage the public.

We hope you will join us! Pre-register here:  <https://www.betterballotnc.org/august_2021_statewide>  https://www.betterballotnc.org/august_2021_statewide.  And please share/cross post this message with community and friends, and our event info with your online groups, clubs & orgs:

https://www.facebook.com/events/519826862593438?active_tab=about

Can’t make the meeting? We welcome potential supporters to learn more, register RCV citizen support, volunteer, or sustain/contribute to help our efforts:

Support Ranked Choice Voting in North Carolina (betterballotnc.org) <https://www.betterballotnc.org/support>

Volunteer for Ranked Choice Voting in North Carolina. (betterballotnc.org) <https://www.betterballotnc.org/volunteer>

Donations - Better Ballot (betterballotnc.org) <https://www.betterballotnc.org/contribute>

Thanks and hope to see you on Monday (Aug 9)! – The Better Ballot NC Team