[Durham INC] Fwd: How to apply for new City & Countywide Longtime Homeowners Grant to help with 2021 property taxes--Deadline Dec. 31

Mimi Kessler mimikessler1 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 18:20:45 EST 2021

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Becky Winders <rmwinders at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Dec 3, 2021 at 4:53 PM
Subject: How to apply for new City & Countywide Longtime Homeowners Grant
to help with 2021 property taxes--Deadline Dec. 31
To: Becky Winders <rmwinders at gmail.com>
CC: james svara <svarajh at gmail.com>

Dear  Coalition for Affordable Housing and Transit members,

We are sending you the attached flyer that promotes a new property tax
assistance program that is available in Durham.  Unlike previous programs,
it is countywide and provides substantial assistance to low-income
homeowners who have been in their homes for ten years or more.  Qualifying
homeowners will have a grant that pays *half* of their property tax bill
for 2021 up to *$750*.  We are asking you to help get information to
homeowners who may qualify for the program as soon as possible since the
deadline is December 31.

To qualify, the total household income in 2020 must be 80% or less of the
Area Median Income (AMI).  Under current guidelines, preference will be
given to households with income that is 60% of AMI or less.  Affordable
housing supporters will keep encouraging the Board of County Commissioners
to approve all qualifying applications using federal COVID assistance funds
that the county has received.

Please review the flyer and let me know if you have any questions.

We have just learned that the City of Durham will be announcing next week
the details of the Longtime Homeowners Grant Program that is being extended
one more year to cover the higher property tax paid in *2020* compared to
the tax paid in 2015 before two property reappraisals occurred.  A separate
flyer will be distributed describing that program which can benefit
residents of NECD, SWCD, Southside, and Walltown (added this year).  We are
waiting to see the new information about the program before finalizing that
flyer.  It appears that the deadline for this program will be March 31,
2022.

Thank you for your assistance in helping homeowners with modest incomes who
have been receiving higher tax bills.  The appraised value of their
properties have typically been rising faster than the countywide average
increase.  This assistance will help them stay in their homes and stabilize
their neighborhoods.

Jim Svara
12 Susanna Drive
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/12+Susanna+Drive?entry=gmail&source=g>,