[Durham INC] Preservation Durham Maplewood Cemetery Tours April 23 and 24

Tom Miller tom-miller1 at nc.rr.com
Mon Apr 18 02:03:39 EDT 2022

Preservation Durham Maplewood Cemetery Tours April 23 and 24

Learn about Durham's history with a real, live, guided tour of Durham's
famous Old Maplewood Cemetery. Preservation Durham tour guides take visitors
around the cemetery pausing here and there to tell stories of triumph and
tragedy, joy and sorrow, wealth and inequity, lives long and short. Learn
about funerary traditions, and grave art and architecture. All this in one
of Durham's loveliest urban open spaces.

We offer continuous loop tours between 10 am and 4 pm on Saturday (4/23) and
Sunday (4/24). This means that there is not a set start time for tours.
Each of the tours operate in a continuous loop.  You can arrive at your
leisure and join whichever of the tour that are in progress. Once you've
completed your loop, feel free to join another one! (Note: the final loops
begin at 2:30 and will conclude around  4 pm each day).

Tickets are $12 plus tax.  Your tickets is good for BOTH days. You can
purchase your tickets in advance on Eventbrite -
https://maplewoodcemeterywalks.eventbrite.com - or come directly to the
cemetery and buy your ticket there.  The tours are free for Preservation
Durham members.

Please come to the Kent Street entrance to Maplewood Cemetery nearest the
intersection of Kent and Morehead Avenue.  Do not use your GPS - it will
send you to the cemetery office about a mile away!  Wear comfortable shoes -
we will be walking.  There is no bathroom at the cemetery so plan
accordingly.  We will have a cool drink for you.

These tours are among our most popular programs.  Join us!

Dr. Chris Laws

Executive Director

Preservation Durham