[Durham INC] Schroeder is County’s New Chief of Emergency Management and Continuity of Government

Jones, Henry R. hrjones at dconc.gov
Fri May 13 10:00:18 EDT 2022

[DCO_Shield_color]

NEWS RELEASE

For Immediate Release                                               Date: 05/13/2022
Contact: Public Information Office                      Phone: (919) 560-0000/Fax: (919) 560-0020
E-mail: publicinformationoffice at dconc.gov<mailto:publicinformationoffice at dconc.gov>

Schroeder is County’s New Chief of Emergency Management and Continuity of Government

Durham, N.C. – Elizabeth Schroeder was recently appointed Chief of Emergency Management and Continuity of Government. Schroeder brings a wealth of local knowledge to the position including nearly 12 years of progressive experience in emergency services and emergency management. A Durham native and a graduate of Riverside High School, she is very familiar with the needs of the community.

“It is truly a privilege to serve in my hometown and alongside such an incredible and talented team,” said Schroeder. “I am excited about the opportunities to collaborate with our stakeholders and make a positive impact. Our division is taking a pivot in our approach to become more proactive and engaged. We have also redefined our mission to place a greater emphasis on preparedness and community resiliency. I am very optimistic about the direction we are heading.”

In her role, Schroeder leads the coordination with stakeholders in developing and maintaining the City and County Comprehensive Emergency Management (EM) Program. Her additional responsibilities include emergency planning, training and exercises, and coordinating the development and continuous management of the Continuity of Operations Plans (COOP), Continuity of Government (COG) plans, and facility Hazardous Materials Emergency Plans (HMEP). The Emergency Management Division serves as a leader in preparing for, mitigating against, responding to, and recovering from all types of hazards.

Schroeder began her role as Division Chief last month. She most recently served as the Emergency Preparedness Coordinator for University of North Carolina (UNC) Medical Center. Prior to this role, Schroeder began her career at UNC Medical Center as a certified nursing assistant in the Emergency Department while finishing nursing school.  She worked for many years as a Registered emergency and trauma nurse, then transitioned into various roles including nursing education, quality improvement and project management before finding her passion in emergency management.

“Elizabeth brings a wealth of knowledge, experience, structure, and energy to the Emergency Management Division.” said Durham County Office of Emergency Services (OES) Director Jim Groves. “We are fortunate that Elizabeth chose to join our amazing OES team. She has a fantastic vision and I’m excited to help her and the EM Division make that vision a reality”

Schroeder holds a Master of Nursing Administration from Gardner-Webb University, a Bachelor of Science in Nursing from the UNC at Chapel Hill as well as a Bachelor of Science with an athletic training concentration from James Madison University. She also holds certificates in Community Preparedness Disaster Management from UNC Chapel Hill and in Systems Thinking in Public Health from Johns Hopkins University in addition to multiple specialty certifications.

Schroeder’s family includes her husband David, five children, a dog, a cat, and several goldfish.

For more information on the Office of Emergency Services and the City-County Emergency Management Division, visit their webpage<https://www.dconc.gov/county-departments/departments-a-e/emergency-management> or call 919-560-0660.

###