[Durham INC] Toxic Free NC is hiring a Policy Director!

bonita green nitab48 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 13:30:40 EDT 2022

Toxic Free NC is hiring a Policy Director! Please help us in sharing this
opportunity.
(This is a revised version of an earlier posting, with increased
responsibility and salary.)

Join the Toxic Free NC team!
Policy Director

Toxic Free NC fights for environmental health and justice by advocating for
safe alternatives to harmful pesticides and chemicals in agriculture and
consumer products. We’re seeking a Policy Director to ensure that public
policy is responsive to those most affected by toxic pollution. The Policy
Director is a champion for justice, strategically advancing our platform
through coalition partnerships, advocacy that builds public participation,
and issues-based campaigns that move the needle toward safer policies that
protect everyone in our community.

Responsibilities:
• Leads Toxic Free NC advocacy for the protection of public health and the
environment based on rigorous and transparent science
• Serves as a policy expert and regulatory watchdog on pesticides and
adjacent issues in North Carolina
• Increases public awareness and involvement in policy-making
• Develops campaign strategies and leads issues-based campaigns
• Builds and strengthens coalition partnerships
• Prepares policy briefs, position papers, and action alerts
• Participates in, and helps shape, Toxic Free NC’s collective leadership
model

Here’s what we’re looking for:

   - Policy experience with environmental or health advocacy issues, or
   work on issues-based campaigns
   - Clear and compelling public speaking and written communication skills,
   with the ability to convey scientific concepts to any audience.
   - Embodies Toxic Free NC’s mission and values, including a commitment to
   addressing systemic inequity
   - Must have a valid driver’s license and ability to travel throughout
   North Carolina and occasional travel outside the state
   - Big plus: knowledge of pesticide issues, food systems, organic
   agriculture, and/or environmental justice issues in North Carolina
   - Helpful but not required: training or educational background in
   environmental policy, public policy, environmental science, public health,
   chemistry, or a related field

Benefits:
This is a full-time position (40 hours/week) with paid vacation, holidays,
and health and dental benefits. The starting salary, commensurate with
experience and other factors, is $50,000-60,000 annually. The job is based
at our office in downtown Durham and requires occasional travel around the
Triangle and the state.

To apply:
Send us a cover letter, résumé, two writing samples, and three job related
references to jobs at toxicfreenc.org with the subject line “Policy Director
Application.” Applications are due by July 5, 2022.

We want you! Toxic Free NC is an equal-opportunity employer. We value the
lived experience of community members impacted by environmental exposure
and we are committed to creating an inclusive and anti-racist working
environment. Women, people of color, LGBTQIA+ and especially those with
personal connections to communities impacted by pesticides are strongly
encouraged to apply. If you feel that you are a good fit but don’t meet all
the above-mentioned requirements, we encourage you to apply by including a
statement of how you would contribute to the role.

--
*Phoebe Gooding, M.S. **(she/her)*
*Program and Organizing Director*
phoebe at toxicfreenc.org
(919) 589-3589
*Hawk's Nest Healing Gardens* <https://www.hawksnesthealinggardens.com/>
*Durham County occupies the ancestral, traditional, and contemporary land
of the Eno, Lumbee, Sappony, Shakori, and Tuscarora
peoples. https://native-land.ca/ <https://native-land.ca/>*
--
be a kind human
Bonita Green