[Durham INC] Flooding in Durham, North Carolina How climate change increases flooding risk

bonita green nitab48 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 13:48:19 EST 2022

Urban flooding is an increasing threat in the southeastern United States.
Working in
partnership with the Ellerbe Creek Watershed Association (ECWA) of Durham,
North Carolina, we sought to identify areas of Durham that may be at risk of
increased flooding by mid-century. Utilizing statistically downscaled
climate
data, land-usage metrics, impervious surface area, stormwater
infrastructure, and
social vulnerability we looked for correlations with flood complaint
reports. Using
models of projected changes in these variables from the EPA, Oak Ridge
National Laboratory, and the Durham City Planning Department, we can
estimate flooding risk in the city’s future. We
found that areas of higher stormwater pipe density tended to have a lower
amount of flood complaints. ECWA plans to use this information to help
advocate
for Durham to invest in stormwater upgrades—particularly in neighborhoods
with
underrepresented populations that tend to be disproportionately affected by
flooding.

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/d965059e8bb142fea0d0d1de4fd54d81

be a kind human
Bonita Green