[Durham INC] Mayor Leonardo Williams Presents Top Priorities for Durham’s Future

City of Durham Communications Communications at durhamnc.gov
Mon Jan 8 12:37:35 EST 2024

[Office of the Mayor logo]

News Media Contact

Derrick.Stanfield at DurhamNC.gov<mailto:Derrick.Stanfield at DurhamNC.gov>

News Release
For Immediate Release: January 8, 2024

Mayor Leonardo Williams Presents Top Priorities for Durham’s Future

Citywide Listening Tours Planned for Public Input

DURHAM, N.C. – Today, Mayor Leonardo Williams announced his immediate priorities for Durham’s future<https://youtube.com/live/53x46ZkjiVo?feature=share>: Building a safer and better-connected Durham; Continuing the revitalization of Durham’s economy; and Developing Durham’s workforce now and for the future.

Mayor Williams noted that while these areas are important to Durham’s successful future, other topics need to be addressed, as well. “It is important to me to define immediate needs, but in no way does that take away from other priority areas that demand more focus, including how we build a safer Durham and affordable housing.” Williams said. “I’ll address those areas as well during my upcoming State of the City in the coming weeks.”

Since his recent inauguration and during his time as a City Council member, Mayor Williams has already obtained funding and secured many of the action steps needed to deliver on his priorities. To help meet his goals, he has identified three focus areas and will embark on a listening tour around the city to hear from City of Durham department leaders, the business community, and residents about their ideas on how the city can move forward together in the following areas.

Community Development: Enhancing Safety and Mobility

Mayor Williams is committed to enhancing safety and mobility for residents of Durham, to foster inclusive prosperity throughout the city. From saving lives to providing enriched quality of life for every resident of Durham, Mayor Williams seeks to ensure that the government fulfills its responsibility to provide equitable and holistic services for all.

Economic Development: Energizing Durham’s Economic Engine

In addition to continuing to champion the revitalization of Downtown Durham as the city’s economic core, Mayor Williams will also focus on expanding the economic viability of neighborhoods citywide. Mayor Williams is committed to forging Durham as the Triangle’s epicenter of opportunity. Actions include exploring the development of a new convention center, enhancing marketing and branding, and launching new events and festivals throughout Durham to expand commerce and tourism downtown.

Workforce Development: Developing and Retaining Talent

Mayor Williams will provide more intense focus on developing and retaining local talent to support the city’s existing and new businesses, while at the same time preparing Durham’s workforce for the city’s current and emerging industries. “I believe that with the support of our community, our City Council members and City administration, we can move the needle significantly in these and other top priority areas, but we must work together,” Williams said. “This great city deserves no less.”

Immediate Next Steps

Within the coming weeks Mayor Williams will establish industry-specific advisory councils including, but not limited to, economic development, housing, the environment, and innovation.

For questions or requests to meet, contact Special Assistant to the Mayor Derrick Stanfield by email<mailto:derrick.stanfield at durhamnc.gov> or by calling (919) 560-4333.

To watch today’s press conference, visit the City’s YouTube channel<https://youtube.com/live/53x46ZkjiVo?feature=share>.

Office of the Mayor

The City of Durham mayor serves as the presiding officer of the City Council, votes on all matters, and appoints individuals to resident boards, committees, and commissions. To learn more, visit the Mayor’s webpage<https://www.durhamnc.gov/1315/Office-of-the-Mayor>.

###