[Durham INC] Reuse Hub Project

bonita green nitab48 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 14:04:43 EST 2024

The City of Durham has prioritized developing transformative and
sustainable solutions to waste management that address racial and[image:
Speaking with community members as part of engagement efforts related to
potential reuse park.] economic disparities and promote environmental
justice. Specifically, Durham envisions building a new hub for waste
reduction, reuse, and recycling that will be accessible to all across our
community.

This reuse hub can help feed back into our local economy by lowering the
amount of waste sent to a landfill, allowing local businesses to capitalize
on reusable material, and creating local jobs and training opportunities
for our residents.
CIRCULAR ECONOMY

A circular economy
<https://ellenmacarthurfoundation.org/topics/circular-economy-introduction/overview>
is
a system where materials never become waste and nature is regenerated -
meaning we reuse materials in new products for as long as possible. Our
goal is for a potential reuse hub to fuel a local circular economy. A
Durham circular economy is an equitable, innovative, cooperative model that
continually turns waste into resources by regionally recirculating
materials for reuse, recycling, and remanufacture. Our circular economy is
based on a system of sustainable product design for durability and
recyclability, reuse and repair that fosters intentional consumption and
equitable access to wealth and resources.
GET INVOLVED

We are currently seeking community input to enhance our recycling and reuse
programs, identify infrastructure needed to meet our waste reduction goals,
and develop enhanced education and outreach. Complete a survey to share
your feedback and enter to win one of 30 $15 Starbucks gift cards! The
survey is now available through the below buttons.

Interested in connecting or participating in this project? Contact project
lead Katie Hunt at kathleen.hunt at durhamnc.gov.
Survey in English
<https://forms.office.com/pages/responsepage.aspx?id=gu99KTmUiEOoCDVIpOz0fXBmjROX0DFGv_brkXu2-BdUNldCR0pVVDJZQzBVNkM5WE5QOFFCUDlDSC4u>
Encuesta en español