[Durham INC] Thank you (Duke Rezoning)

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 18 13:06:20 EDT 2024

 Many thanks for your note, Jeannine. Much appreciated. I must say Duke's whole approach to these re-zoning cases is very disappointing.
Hiring lawyers to deal with the community is another wall raised by Duke.
When we worked with the Duke administration on the three campus re-zonings, we met with the Provost numerous times and walked into Council chambers with the Provost with an agreement in hand. Duke's Provost spoke at the podium, not some lawyer who says his "client understands the concerns of the community but never-the-less wants the vote to go forward as is" (paraphrasing).
Duke's lawyer was asking for the vote to go forward on an application that ignores the community's most important concerns.

I also understand that no administrators/lawyers from Duke have reached out to community reps since the suggestion was made at the hearing "to work out something that is more agreeable to the community."
This silence speaks volumes.
This video, from right before the vote, is compelling. Duke needs to do better: https://youtu.be/ycfAKXThe6s?t=7130
Very best,John

 Thank you for your support, John. Our neighborhood appreciates it.
While I have been disappointed with some of our conversations, I would like to make clear that we have had conversations both with Duke representatives, as well as their Morningstar attorney.

We have made (and continue to make) a good faith effort to communicate with both Duke representatives and their Morningstar attorney. We have met with a good number of Duke folks, many of whom I can only say good things about. Still, the most recent revision of the application reflecting Duke's institutional priorities did not provide those commitments our neighborhood feels are necessary to maintain the safety, character, and quiet enjoyment of our Burch Avenue neighborhood.
Our neighborhood hopes to have the continued support of fellow Durham neighbors in INC as this process moves forward. We'll be in touch with updates!

Jeannine