[Durham INC] May Delegate Meeting - 28th @7pm IN PERSON!

Debra Hawkins dhawkins913311 at gmail.com
Tue May 28 02:23:20 EDT 2024

It's not about me personally or my need to 'socialize', but about important
city engagement that every citizen, no matter their health, disability or
privilege, should have access and accommodation about, and the audio in
every one of the previous zoom based meetings, as well as on standard
dial-in conference technologies (either in digital space dial in, or via a
tabletop system) that have been available for years, is perfectly fine -
since the FDA, the CDC, Wall Street and several government and
corporate entities that allow public listening, access and Q & A use all
the time, as well as for numerous webinars. To say otherwise is to
discredit all that and kind of a weak argument for not investing in
participatory governance for this delegatory body.

I'm cc'ing Pakis on this as I'm certain he's familiar with the good quality
techical phone in digital space, tabletop, and app based systems for
facilitating a simple digital access for those who require it to be engaged
citizen participants. And many are at reasonable cost, especially for the
INS treasury which has available funds and not too many demands on them as
compared to other nonprofit groups that don't get free work/meeting spaces
and have little overhead and available discretionary funds.

Thank you for reconsidering and making at least a little effort to create
ADA access for meetings and to solicit more disabled citizen's experience
with such technologies rather than the opinion or experience of a few who
are able-bodied/privileged with somewhat different or better health
circumstances. It's also true that the technology need not be set up every
time if you adopt a registration approach and no one regiters ahead of that
meeting, if that is a useful strategem for operations, expense etc.

Debra