[Durham INC] August minutes

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 19 18:56:25 EDT 2024

I  think I forgot to send these  out earlier.  Please let me know about additions or corrections.  Thanks, pat

August Delegate Meeting
InterNeighborhood Council of Durham
August 27, 2024

Attending the meeting were:
Neighborhoods
Burch Avenue – Cristen Jones
Cross Counties – Pat Carstensen
Leesville Road Coalition – Herman Sperling
Long Meadow – Pakis Bessias
Morehead Hill – Bruce Mitchell
Northgate Park – Keith Cochran
Old North Durham – Mimi O’Brien
Trinity Park –  Mimi Kessler, Mary Molina
Tuscaloosa-Lakewood – Susan Sewell
Watts Hospital Hillandale – Tom Miller, Sherri Zann Rosenthal,

President Mimi Kessler called the meeting to order and folks introduced themselves.

June/July Minutes – Tom moved to approve the June and July minutes, Herman seconded, ant they were approved.

Duke Rezoning – City Council wanted more information about how Duke would use the various properties so the matter was postponed until October.

Rewrite of the UDO: We are still trying to have a discussion with Planning staff.  There was a Code Connect presentation last week; see https://engagedurham.com/234/Code-Connect-Meetings.

c. Election/voting info
d. September meeting in person

  1.
Neighborhood Reports
  2.
Adjournment

Revamping INC External Communication:  They hope to have a new version of the website to share at the next meeting.

Tax Assessments: We are working at getting a presentation on the process.

Northgate Small Area Plan: There are two meetings at which the community can give feedback.  Information was sent out on the list-serve.  What is posted looks good, but what the results on the ground will look like with this as “guidance” is unclear.  This led to a discussion of affordability.

Election plans: Early voting starts October 17th, with 12 locations.

The  meeting will be in person, and will be the annual meeting.

Announcements / Neighborhood Reports:

  *
Leesville Road Coalition community meeting with Sarah Young went very well.  She did a presentation for about ½ hour and about 40 minutes of additional answers to questions.  There is a video recording.  They will be doing 9 town halls about the various races that will be on the ballot in November.
  *
Trinity Park is having a rock concert with food trunks.  They are doing National Night Out in October.  The home tour is October 20.
  *
Watts Hospital Hillandale is doing National Night Out in Tom Miller’s yard.  At their annual meeting in October, they will be looking at boundary descriptions in their bylaws since property-line definitions are getting out of date, as well as hearing about the property tax revaluation.
  *
There was enough vocal reaction of the three neighborhoods near Lakewood to make the proposal for a huge self-storage facility as part of the redevelopment disappeared.  The National Night Out for the three neighborhoods will be at the parking lot of the Scrap Exchange.

Adjourn