[Esip-drupal] Regrouping next week 3/29 to hear your thoughts on our direction and focus

David Bassendine david at bluedotlab.org
Wed Mar 22 12:12:10 EDT 2017

Hi everyone,

We're moving today's scheduled call to the same time next week (3/29 3pm
ET), when we'll regroup to listen to your feedback and ideas on the
direction and focus of Science of Drupal for the coming year. After the
last call and some reflection by Adam and I, there is one key idea we would
like to canvas opinion on.

Should we remain focused on one particular technology (Drupal) or
re-organize around the key niche (user-focused set of features) that group
members are using Drupal to address? There are a couple of drivers behind
this idea:

   - Modern web projects usually involve systems of interacting
   technologies rather than a single monolithic framework, so our identity
   should reflect and embrace that reality
   - Opening up discussions on the strengths and weaknesses of different
   technology stacks addressing a similar problem area, and in which
   circumstances each should be used. Our continued assessment is that Drupal
   is best in class for many parts of the technology landscape where it's
   typically used, but no technology is above scrutiny. A technology-agnostic
   identity would encourage this type of discussion and ensure continued
   relevance of the technologies we're working on.
   - Encouraging broad-based participation regardless of technology
   background

We still anticipate focusing primarily on Drupal, but this idea - if taken
forward - would update our identity to mirror the broad range of
technologies used in many projects, and open up learning opportunities on
the most appropriate ways to select or combine technologies. In many senses
these changes are already reflected in what we're discussing and presenting
on telecons: this would just update our identity to match.

If we do make the change, the next question would be - how do we define our
niche? We'll need to understand more clearly how you're currently using
Drupal and the problems you're trying to solve to answer that question.

Nothing is decided yet, so if you have an opinion either way, please come
along to our next meeting or respond to a survey that we'll post out in the
next couple of days. The group is here to help our members, so we need to
hear your voices to be well aligned with your needs - please let us know!
Thanks! David and Adam