INC NEWS - Water resource in future, bigger picture, conserving water simply

Mike - Hotmail mwshiflett at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 2 14:39:00 EST 2008

I've been weeding my way thru hundreds of emails and just got to this one
regarding a 'link' between new growth while placing limits to it if certain
(or necessary infrastructures) are not already in place or paid for before
the approval.

While the recent set of events regarding water supplies have dominated this
discussion,  there are many other examples (or reasons) for limitations to
be placed on a jurisdiction before granting rezoning approvals, annexations
and/or implementing changes in demands for services.

Examples such as school capacities, waste and refuse collections, parks and
recreational facilities, libraries, fire and police protection are just a
few.

Before moving forward with any discussion regarding limiting growth (it is
NOT a ban) we should look more closely at just where these other
infrastructures are regarding capacity before placing restrictions or
demands on development for just one or two of them!

I'd highly recommend that those who are interested this consider looking up
or Googling "Adequate Public facilities ordinances" and read up on what they
mean for both a community and it's future before considering a resolution or
asking an opinion regarding our current situation.

Many other communities across the nation have implemented them and their
success has been varied,   but given that they are a possible route to have
growth pay for growth I'd like suggest that Durham look again at APFO's in
both the county and the city before thinking about addressing it just for
water resources.

Mike Shiflett