INC NEWS - Proposed changes to UDO

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 15 19:03:11 EDT 2008

Planning Department sent out a whole bunch of notices of proposed changes to the UDO.  Most but maybe not all are at:
http://www.durhamnc.gov/council/ord_changes/

This one is going to City Council

01-28-08 TC 07-20 Sidewalks -- Clarifies how to determine that there isn't sufficient space for a 5-foot sidewalk right of way.

The rest are going to Planning Commission

3-14-08 TC0800002 FEMA Firm Update -- Adds the latest FEMO map of places likely to flood to rules of floodplains
03-14-08 TC0800001 IL Compact Height -- I think this is a technical change about Downtown Tier vs CBD
03-14-08 TC 07-15 Hotel Location Standards -- Extends buffer requirements to extended stay places, lets them be on frontage roads but not minor highways, and exempts downtown motel / hotels from these location standards
03-14-08 TC 07-17 Private Drive Name -- Driveways into townhouse developments or shopping centers have to come up to standards before they can be taken over as public roads; they can have names under certain circumstances, and developer or owner is responsible for maintenance of signs for private streets and driveways
03-14-08 TC 07-21 Sidewalks (but it really is Stormwater) -- It's a stream if USGS says it's a stream, no matter how much or how little area it drains (I think this is a really good change); if the stormwater plan isn't approved, you can't get water/sewer permit (and if you don't need water / sewer, you can't get building permit); combines city and county process for filling a pond; and you don't have to do steam buffer requirements if you are in Neuse Basin and have no surface water.
02-13-08 TC 07-19 Conservation Subdivisions (I don't know whether there are changes from what Melissa and I looked at earlier)