[MCIC Safety] PSM Question

[MCIC] Jim Kuszaj jim at mcicnc.org
Tue Jul 31 14:50:30 EDT 2012

Hope all you safety experts out there are doing well. If you don't
mind taking a few minutes, we have a question or two for you.

Within the Mechanical Integrity section under the Process Safety
Management (PSM) regulations Federal OSHA gives requirements for
documentation of tests/inspections, but gives no documentation
retention time.  However an interpretation letter written on
9/16/1996, attached, states

"In order to demonstrate compliance with paragraph 1910.119(j), and
to meet the purpose of ongoing mechanical integrity, the
documentation required under paragraph 1910.119(j)(4)(iv) must be
kept for the lifetime of the process."

We think this is a bit excessive and that a retention period of 5
years well documents compliance. Perhaps going longer only for
deviations and corrective actions. Has anyone had a communication
from NCOSH either through a discussion or an inspection wherein a
document retention period was given? Are you keeping this and other
PSM-related documentation electronically or with hard-copy or both?

Thanks, Dick

Richard McDonald

Shurtape Technologies, LLC

Safety Director