INC NEWS - Comprehensive Plan Notes

pat carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 30 11:58:34 EST 2005

Overall, the Comprehensive Plan points us in the right direction -- defines
different tiers, mandates more rigorous processes, generally sets good
priorities.

As I put in my previous post, the two important things to check for comments
for tomorrow:
* What the Comprehensive Plan map says will happen in your neighborhood
* If you have some Capital Improvement priorities, make sure they are in the
plan

A couple things that are in the plan, don't need comment, but we will need
to respond if / when they get implemented:

8.1.6m – INC mandated to participate in a process to define standards and
best practices for traffic calming (something like this may be good idea for
solid / yard waste).

10.1.3h – Investigate the idea of Park Improvement Districts with higher
taxes to support neighborhood facilities.  I think this is a bad idea, but
wouldn’t comment on it now; just be ready for the idea to come up.

Some positive things to mention if you are writing letters:

2.3.2n; 2.3.3k – Establish and enforce amortization periods and processes to
get rid of non-conforming uses, which contribute to visual (and I would say
other kinds of) blight (could be clearer who is leading this)

4.2.3d – Directs governing bodies to create a maintenance standard in a
"non-residential code"

8.1.2c – Forbids traffic mitigation for new development from impacting
existing development in the Urban, Compact, and Downtown tiers.  Could be
extended to Suburban?

8.1.6n – Planning Department to come up with ways to say that a proposed
development will have too much traffic impact on neighborhood streets so the
development should be turned down.

10.1.1 – Establishes levels of service for parks, such as needing 1
playground per 1000 people, or 230 playgrounds by 2010.

10.1.2 – Says the first priority for CIP spending is existing deficiencies
and tells Parks and Rec to set up maintenance standards and do better
communicating with citizens.

Some odd bits that might be useful to some neighborhoods:

2.3.2m – Directs the Planning Department to recommend denial of commercial
and industrial zoning changes in a specific area along Roxboro Road, to
prevent strip development.  This may be a useful precedent for other areas.

Again the full document is at:
www.ci.durham.nc.us/departments/planning/comp_plan/

Regards, Pat Carstensen