INC NEWS - INC DRAFT minutes for 2/22 meeting

pat carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 6 18:47:13 EST 2005

Reminder:  The next meeting will be March 22.  Regards, pat

------
Inter-Neighborhood Council
Making Better Neighborhoods
www.durhaminc.org
Minutes of Meeting of February 22, 2005

REPRESENTATIVES PRESENT
Paul Cornsweet	MHNA
Don Stauffacher	Marquis-Pierre
Larry Revelle	Durham Human Relations
John Tyler	Durham Police Department
Rudy Henkel	HV Farms North / PAC 4
John Dagenhart	Trinity Park
Marguerite Ward	Rockwood
Michael Shiflett	Northgate Park
Cheryl Sweeney	NPNA
Richard Mullinax	Old North Durham
Sandra R. Alston	Fisher Heights Neighborhood Org
Glennis Jones	Eno Trace
Valerie Huber	Nancy Rhodes Creek NA
Josh Parker	Trinity Park
Betty Greene	Old West Durham
Kelly Jarrett	Old West Durham
Mike Woodard	Watts Hospital – Hillandale NA
Grace Jones	Eno Trace
Fred Foster	Old Farm
David Harris	Old Farm
Anne Guyton	Colonial Village
Deb Christie	Colony Hill / Piney Mtn
Jim Shuler	Heather Glen HO
Linda Shuler	Heather Glen HO
Regina deLacy	Hope Valley Farms North
Bill Anderson	Duke Park
Leah Oettinger	Hope Valley Farms North
Barry Ragin	DPNA
Cynthia Williams	Hillside Park NA
Charlotte Woods	Rockwood
Randy Pickle	Forest Hills
Pat Carstensen	Cross County

Introductions
President Bill Anderson opened the meeting.  Members introduced themselves.

Gangs in Durham – John Tyler of the Durham Gang Unit passed out a booklet
and talked about how we can help them. They have a longer and more formal
presentation that they give to neighborhoods, so they can talk about
specifics in an area.  They need everyone to be eyes and ears for graffiti,
sneakers, and behavior; no neighborhood is immune.  Gangs are very organized
and we are 10-15 years behind in addressing the problem, including getting
the right legislation.  The topic is pretty complicated, but the basics of
People Nation vs. Folk Nation were covered.

PACs and INC – It is sort of fuzzy who does what between PACs and INC, but
yard waste is one area of common concern.  PACs have more representation
from low-wealth areas and it will be important to them that structure of
yard waste and impact fees are sensitive to concerns of low-wealth citizens.

Fire Station in Treburn – Fred Foster of Old Farm asked support for getting
a fire station at Treyburn to address the growth in northern Durham County.
Response time can be as much as 14 minutes (where national standard is 5) up
there.  We will look at a resolution at the March meeting.

Yard Waste – The resolution was approved by voice vote.  See Attachment A.

School Impact Fees – We started discussion about asking the legislative
delegation to press for authority to levy impact fees to support new
schools.  One concern is that a flat fee hits lowest cost housing the
hardest; Chatham is looking at some kind of tiered system.  Objections are
that it is a "welcome stranger tax" in addition to other big fees (such as
hook-up to water) and is not bondable.  On the other hand, it is a "down
payment" on paying back the investment that tax collections will eventually
pay down.  People want to see money being better spent before get more.
School transfer policy needs to be such that will fill under-populated
schools.  Maybe a property transfer fee would be better since we wouldn’t
have to charge as much on each transaction.  It is generally seen that there
needs to be a lot more discussion.

Bylaws – The committee looking at updates suggests eliminating the
requirement that neighborhood organizations be private, raising the minimum
number of households, changing the % of households represented, and running
the fiscal year from January 1 to December 31. Any changes will take a 2/3
vote.

Information / Committee Reports
ß As of 2/9/05 we have $1044.28 in checking, $2224.28 in savings.  The
minutes and treasurer’s report were approved.
ß It looks like the governing bodies will be approving the Comprehensive
Plan next week.  Then they will take up the UDO.
ß David Harris stepped forward to join the Executive Committee.   Jacqueline
Olich resigned as At Large Rep due to time conflicts.  There are still
openings.
ß Dues are due and letters will be going out shortly.
ß 20th birthday and honor neighborhood hero bash will be at Washington Duke
Inn in the fall.
ß You can comment on the County Budget on their website.
ß There are openings on the Planning Commission for county positions.

The meeting was adjourned.

========

Attachment A: Yard Waste

Resolved: ______(organization)______ formally requests that the City of
Durham re-examine its policies on the collection of yard waste within the
city limits. This re-examination should include a review of the purpose of
collecting yard waste, the methods of collecting yard waste, and the
distribution of the costs of collecting yard waste. Thorough examination of
the practices of other municipalities, including cost structures and
collection practices, should also be included. A working committee comprised
of relevant city employees, department heads, and representatives of
community organizations should conduct this review, and be charged with
making specific recommendations to City Council as to how this policy should
be rewritten.

The City of Durham has gradually, over the past few years, increased the out
of pocket costs to its citizens of participating in the yard waste
collection program by requiring the purchase of a specified yard waste cart,
instituting an annual fee to register the required cart, increasing that
annual fee by 20% in the current fiscal year, reducing the amount of yard
waste that will be picked up with the payment of these required fees, and
charging additional fees for the removal of normal amounts of yard waste.

The result of these policies has been a continued decline in participation
in the yard waste program among Durham citizens. According to figures
published in the Durham Herald-Sun on 20 December, 2004, approximately
13,000 Durham households are currently participating in the program, down
significantly from approximately 18,000 in the previous fiscal year, and
down dramatically from the period before annual fees were instituted. The
revenue generated by current levels of participation is lower than that
generated in recent years, despite the increase in fees.

A search of the internet for the published yard waste collection policies of
other North Carolina municipalities shows Durham is currently in the
minority in both the restrictions on yard waste and the fees charged for
picking such waste up. Although we applaud the city's efforts to encourage
citizens to reuse as much of this material as possible, we urge the city to
recognize that it's efforts are counterproductive. As fewer citizens
participate in the program, more yard waste is is either dumped illegally or
simply pushed out onto the city streets. The results are increased pollution
in our creeks and streams, unsightly streets, and blocked storm drains,
creating esthetic, health, and safety problems for all residents.